Page Updated May 13, 2017
Site designed & maintained by
Graham Latter
Swanland Village Hall
Bookings
Tel
0752 579 8449
e-mail bookings
Building History
The Old School was built in 1876.
This early picture shows village children in front of it by the pond circa 1900.

In 1936 the school was extended northwards with an upper room. In 1971 it ceased being used as a school and for a long time it laid empty and boarded up.

After many years of planning a project finally got underway to convert the building into a Village Hall. The project was under the auspices the Parish Council, notably its Chairman, Colin Hotham. This picture shows work progressing on the conversion during 2004. The new Village Hall was officially opened in January 2005.

Further information about the old school
can be found in
Swanland History Group's
book
The School and The 20th Century

And also at Swanland Heritage Centre

This diagram shows the re-constructed layout of the Village Hall and indicates how it has been extended from the original building.

  • The Original Old School Building in 1876
  • The School extension added in 1936
  • The Village Hall conversion completed in 2004